David M. Matejczyk
J.D. (1989) Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
M.P.A. (1983) Gannon University, Erie, Pa.
B.S. (1980) Alliance College, Cambridge Springs, Pa.
David Matejczyk has devoted his entire legal career to the area of insurance subrogation. A member of the first Board of Directors of the National Association of Subrogation Professionals, he served as the chairman for the original and two subsequent annual national conferences of the organization. During his years in practice in Ohio, he has achieved significant recoveries in virtually every area of subrogation.
David's recovery success on large property files can be attributed to immediate sight visits; coordination of proper experts; coordination of scene and forensic exams; and extensive experience with the requirements of NFPA 921 and Ohio law.
For over a decade, he has served as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Akron teaching courses that encompass torts, product liability and contracts.
- Member of the First Board of Directors, National Association of Subrogation Professionals (1999-2001)
- Conference Chairman, NASP Inaugural Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada (1999)
- Conference Chairman, NASP National Conference, Orlando, Florida (2000)
- Conference Chairman, NASP National Conference, Atlanta, Georgia (2004)
- Prior to entering the legal profession, worked in the Pennsylvania Governor's Office of Administration; served as legislative liaison for a major state agency involved in the Commonwelath's state construction projects and insurance risk management.
- 2016 Outstanding Alumni Award Recipient - Alliance College
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Attorney status, highest possible national peer rating on legal ability, professional and ethical standards. (2008 - current)
- University of Akron Adjunct Faculty Service Award (2010)
- President's Award, NASP (2004)
- President's Award, NASP (2000)
- NASP Appreciation Award / Inaugural NASP Convention (1999)
- Commencement Speaker, Cambridge Springs High School (1994):
- Academic Awards (CWRU Law):
- Dean Dunmore Award for Outstanding Legal Research & Advocacy
- Distinguished Advocate Award
- Dean's Best Brief Writing Award
- Captain, National Moot Court Team
- National Moot Court Best Brief Team Award for Region IV (Ohio, Michigan & Kentucky)
- Order of Barristers
- Presenter, "Stains to Flames, Subrogating the Sponteous Combustion Fire," NASP Litigation Skills Conference, New Orleans, La. (2018)
- Presenter, "Sprinkler System Freeze Failures, Causes, Investigation and Successful Subrogation," - LRB & NASP Webinar (2017)
- Presenter, "Fire Scene Safety, Preservation & Relationships, Three Keys to a Safe & Successful Fire Investigtion," NASP Annual Conference - Austin, Texas (2017)
- Guest Speaker, "Maximizing Property Subrogation Recoveries - Current Subrogation Trends," - America's Claims Event Annual Conference - Charlotte, NC (2017)
- Presenter, "Overcoming the Independent Contractor Defense in a Subrogation Construction Case," - 2017 Litigation Skills Conference on Construction Defects - Phoenix, Az (2017)
- Presenter, "When Claims and Flames Collide," - PLRB & NASP Webinar (2016)
- Presenter, "Spot the Tortfeasor," Ohio Chapter NASP - Columbus, Ohio (2016)
- Presenter, "Spot the Tortfeasor," NASP Annual Conference - Reno, Nevada (2015)
- Guest Speaker, "Claims and Subrogation, Hand in Hand," Akron Claims Association (2014)
- Presenter, "Ethics for Everyone," NASP Annual Conference - San Diego (2013)
- Presenter, Subro College 200 - Mediation, NASP Annual Conference (2011)
- Presenter, Subro College 200 - Mock Mediation, NASP Annual Conference (2010)
- Presenter, "Legal Liability Considerations for Fire Departments and EMS - Seville Guilford Fire & EMS (2011)
- Presenter, Subro College 200 - Litigation Overview Process, NASP Annual Conference (2009)
- Speaker, Property Subrogation - National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (San Diego)
- Presenter, Subro College 100 – Mock Mediation (NASP Annual Conference 2008)
- Presenter, Mock Subro Trial - NASP Ohio Regional Chapter (Westfield, Ohio 2008)
- Speaker, "Ohio Tort Reform Impact on Property Subrogation," NASP Ohio Regional Chapter (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Speaker, “Subrogation Off the Beaten Path,” NASP Annual Conference, Tampa, Florida (2002)
- Speaker, “Subrogation Challenges,” NASP Annual Conference, Reno, Nevada (2001)
- Speaker, “Subrogation and the Insured” NASP Inaugural Conf. (1st General session of NASP!) (1999)
- Correspondent and Guest on numerous segments of "Baseball Phd"
- Guest Presenter at numerous in-house insurance training seminars
- "Overcoming the Indepedent Contractor Defense in a Subrogation Case," (Subrogator Magazine)
- "Mental Capacity as a Challenge to an Intentional Act Exclusion," (NASP Subrogator Magazine)
- The Complexities of Ohio Subrogation (Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal)
- “Pipe Freeze-A True Confession” (NASP Subrogator Magazine)
- “Ohio Tort Reform and its Impact on Property Subrogation Claims (Subrogator Magazine)
- Recognized contributor for the Ohio Chapter of “Workers Compensation Subrogation in all 50 States” “Torts, Contracts & Defenses.” (Co-authored) CSRP Course Text - 1st Edition
- “Claims Involving the Amish: Analysis of an Amish Liability Aid Plan” (Subrogator Magazine)
- “Workers Compensation Subrogation Returns to Ohio; An Analysis of Ohio’s New Workers Compensation Statute.” (Subrogator Magazine)
- “Overcoming Recovery Obstacles on Losses Caused by Juveniles” (Subrogator Magazine)
- “Minimizing the Risk of Reimbursement Disputes on Medical Pay Claims” (Subrogator Magazine)
- “In the Wake of Holeton, et al. v. Crouse Cartage, et al.” Co-authored (Subrogator Magazine)
- “Ohio Supreme Court Strike Workers Compensation Statute: An Analysis of Holeton v. Crouse Cartage, Co-authored (Subrogator Magazine)
- Contibuting Writer & Guest Columns in "The Erie Times-News," and "The Meadville Tribune"
- “NASP Enters Debate on Ohio Workers Compensation Statute” (Subrogator Magazine)
- Two children
- Former college baseball player.
- OHSAA high school baseball umpire.
- Member of the broadcast team for Baseball Phd (On behalf of a regional company, negotiated endorsement contracts with several Major League Baseball players).