Timothy A. Ita
J.D. (cum laude) 1985 Northwestern University School of Law
B.A. (magna cum laude) 1982 John Carroll University
An established and respected litigator, Tim Ita has over three decades of experience in successfully litigating claims in both state and federal court. His litigation and negotiation skills have resulted in numerous recoveries in the health care, workers compensation, property and auto subrogation areas.
- Former Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert B. Krupansky, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Twelve years plaintiff-side personal injury and wrongful death practice & seven years commercial litigation practice
Representative Cases & Highlights
Health insurer/medical payments/worker’s compensation recoveries arising in fact scenarios ranging from the more typical to the unique, including recoveries on Michigan PIP payments on losses occurring in Ohio and health care practice involving FEHBA (federal employee), Medicare Advantage, self-insured ERISA and other plans.
Disputed liability auto property damage losses, including trucking carrier claims (against and on behalf of), Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) claims resolved with the U.S. government, and Arbitration Forums filings where appropriate on behalf of clients.
Vehicle fire recoveries involving manufacturers, dealers, maintenance servicers (including oil change and roadside assistance providers), aftermarket suppliers, including battery manufacturers and distributors, and other defendants, including a property claim resolved with the vehicle’s commercial owner on behalf of our client’s insured’s storage facility which sustained fire damage arising from a stored vehicle which ignited.
Honors & Awards
- Executive Editor, Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology (Northwestern University School of Law)
- National Intercollegiate Debate Tournament, three-time qualifier and participant, octafinalist (John Carroll University)
- Alpha Sigma Nu, national Jesuit honor society (John Carroll University)
- Delta Sigma Rho, national debate honor society (John Carroll University)
- Outstanding senior political science major (John Carroll University)
- Outstanding senior communications major (John Carroll University)
- Co-author, Insurance Coverage Law in Ohio (Natl. Bus. Instit. 2004)
- Co-author, Insurance Law: Third Party Coverage in Ohio (Natl. Bus. Instit. 2002)
- Co-author, Auto Insurance Law and Accident Litigation in Ohio (2000)
- Co-author, "Ohio Tortious Interference Law and the Role of Privilege and Competition," 18 Univ. of Dayton Law Review 635-702 (1993)
- Co-author, "Ohio Law on Tortious Interference," published in Tortious Interference and Competition: A Survey of the Law in Selected States (Working Paper, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Business Torts and Unfair Competition Committee (April 1992))
- Co-author, Ohio chapter, State Antitrust Practice and Statutes, ABA Section of Antitrust Law (1990)
- Co-author, "Department of Justice's Proposed Antitrust Guidelines for International Operations -- Summary and Comment," Corporate Counsel's International Adviser (Sept. 1988)
- Author, "Criminal Forfeiture of Proceeds of Racketeering Activity Under RICO," 75 J. Crim. L. & Criminology 893-939 (1984)
- Author, “Expedited Appellate Review of Habeas Corpus Petitions Brought by Death-Sentenced State Prisoners," 74 J. Crim. L. & Criminology 1404-24 (1983)
- Married 30+ years with three adult children
- Runner 40+ years (57 marathons, 33 triathlons & counting)